Thursday, March 24, 2005

A dream

What is a dream? We all have had them, but what do they mean? Do they have a meaning, purpose or message? Have you ever had a dream you were flying? falling? dying? A dream where you were scared? A dream that felt so unexplainably real?

To better understand what dreams are we first must decipher the very process of our sleep, only a minority of our sleep sycle is dedicated to the body. When we awake from an average 8 hour sleep, we are half an inch(a centimeter or so) taller than when we fall asleep, this is because of the pressure we apply on our joints during the day. So for an hour or so, our joints and body replenish themselves, the rest of our sleep is when our minds go through and intricate process. This process consists of all the informatin we have gathered in our short term memory relocating itself to our long term memory. Although our bodies are at rest, our neurons are working harder than ever. This is when we dream, this is when we dabble into worlds of our own making.

Have you ever had a dream so real that it forced you from your sleep? Have you ever watched someone dream; and see how they twitch, sweat and move their eyes involuntarily? Have you ever dreamt so vividly and then upon awaking lose all remembrance of it? Have you ever been inside a dream where you had little control of your own body and felt like it was hard to move? Have you ever had a dream you were hiding from something? Nuerologists and psychologists have analyzed again and again our dreams to further find out what they mean. They have come to many conclusions as to what different dreams mean, and what could induce these dreams. This isn't astrology or anything like that, its science, they have come to many conclusions. One of the most interesting is by far the "out of body expierence dream" in which you see yourself sleeping. When you have an out of body expierence it represents you confidence and the confidence in those who love.

Please share your dreams here,

9 Comments:

Blogger Static Compost said...

We often forget our dreams upon awakening.

According to nuerologists dreaming of injured hands means you are sub-conciously worried about someone suceeding in your place, or doing something that you wish to do.

Also the sensation of pain can be very real inside of our dreams, the pain you felt was probably mentally induced from your state.


Bibliography: 10,000 dreams interpreted by Gustavus Hindman Miller

9:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I very often have deep dreams... sometimes dislinked ideas that suddenly link in my dream alone...
I have often been in a deep trance sort of a dream and have had to pull myself out of it, and be zonked when i am awake...

One dream that has always made me cry in my sleep is the idea of my grandmother's death. Always...including today morning...

I didnt know there was a scientific analysis to every sort of a dream, but i did know that there was an indepth meaning to it if you sought it...

That was a nice article..i wish i you had written of more examples. I find it very interesting...
Nice meeting you...

9:14 AM  
Blogger B-Flx said...

Occasionally, I find myself dreaming about people I haven't seen or heard from in years, like some childhood friend. I'm always amazed by this occurrence, since it is not like I had these people on my mind.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Static Compost said...

I too dream of people that are no longer with me, or those who I havent seen in a long time, I feel so connected to them.

@perspective: wow you have had dreams so deep they made you cry, fascinating how enthralled you could be, the emotion. Coping with loss is never easy, do you dream of when your grandmother was here, and what you shared with her?

7:21 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Great topic SC..

i've had so many weird dreams..dreams never do make any sense, do they? but i believe to some extend that it's our subconscious mind speaking to us.

For some reasons, folks here (in singapore)have a big superstition. That, if you dream of 4 numbers, we should go and bet on these numbers in a local lottery called 4D. I've heard numerous accounts of how these numbers help them strike a windfall. how much of it is coincidence? i have no answers..but i know these folks weren't lying. because my parent was one of them.

i've had terrifying dreams before...i.e me losing my arm, me falling from a great height and that sort of stuff. it really scares the living daylights out of me but somehow i always know in my sleep that it's just a dream. weird arh?

i've read somewhere that if you've had dreams where you were laughing in it, its a healthy sign. i've had those too..

dreams are so intriguing, aint it?

3:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes I have dreams in English language, I mean my native language is Persian and I am just learning English, but sometimes in my dreams everyone talk in English, even sometimes I dream that i am walking in an American city, but I have never been in USA... LOL
anyway I love these kind of dreams...
check ur mail I sent u an e-mail,,,

.::SINA::.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dreams... what I hate is when I wake up and KNOW I had this awesome dream, just like a movie or story, and can't remember it! it's been a long time since a dream has scared me... I think the last really impressive one I had, was right after I broke my heart... I was so sad when I would fall asleep, and dream with that feeling of sadness, wake up sad again, all night long. that was the worst night of my life. what I like most about dreams, is that you KNOW things. like when you're in a house you've never seen before, but know it's your house, or that a person has certain abilities, or whatever. and even when your logic mind tells you that what you're dreaming is impossible, it doesn't matter: in teh dream, it makes perfect sense.

lulu

greetings from mexico

9:27 PM  
Blogger Khameleon said...

One dream that I had, it was weird, a supposed nightmare. I woke up and hated that I had done so.
The nightmare was less scary than being awake.
I'm still confused at why I preferred my nightmare. It was at least 3 years ago and I remeber it as though it were real.

My own Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind... *sly grin*
I dont question why it happened, I just wish I had a magic genie to interpret it for me.
It was weird, but totally cool!

-damzelle-

8:24 PM  
Blogger Static Compost said...

sometimes I have nightmares, and upon awakening I feel relief and say to myself "it was just a dream". Sometimes nightmare are just paralyzingly real.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home